2017 Board of Directors Elections - Candidate Info: Steve Thomas

• May 03, 2017 8:24 AM
    Message # 4812109
    Anne Nicklin (Administrator)

Steve Thomas

Better Futures Minnesota,

What is your experience or connection with recovering and reusing building materials, C&D waste reduction and recycling, and related topics?

I have operated a not for profit deconstruction business along with an on line store and warehouse to sell used building materials. I have studied the industry,  raised start up funding , trained staff, marketed our services, and focused on hiring at risk men as workers.  I also worked extensively with public officials to implement policies that promote deconstruction and material reuse.

What is your experience with the BMRA?

Better Futures is a member of the BMRA. I attended the BMRA annual conference in 2016. We have used the BMRA's deconstruction manual to train Better Futures workers. We have consulted BMRA staff for technical advice on appraisals and we hired another BMRA member, Dave Bennink,  to train our staff for our first set of projects.

Why do you want to serve on the board of directors?

BMRA serves a critical role of building a network of members who, collectively, can transform the way we process used building materials in our country. This is a cause that is important to me. I also think the BMRA and its members have great potential. I would be honored to contribute my time and talent in helping the BMRA grow and expand its impact across the country and worldwide.

The BMRA has identified a number of programmatic and growth areas where the organization most needs assistance. How would you rate your experience in the following areas?

Accounting I have worked extensively in this area and feel competent
    Legal I have worked extensively in this area and feel competent
    Marketing I have worked extensively in this area and feel competent
    Fundraising This is what I do professionally
    Organizational Development This is what I do professionally
    Website Management I'm familiar with the basic concepts and willing to learn more
    Networking This is what I do professionally
    Event Coordination I have worked extensively in this area and feel competent
    Membership Management This is what I do professionally
    Grant Writing This is what I do professionally

Any other qualifications, information, or other remarks that you would like to include?

My extensive participation in partnerships and associations have taught me the value of well-organized, disciplined alliances. The collective talent and experience of a nationwide, member-driven association can accelerate the growth of an industry and influence significant changes in policy that benefit both the industry and society in general.

link to resume

The Building Materials Reuse Association is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. 4410 N. Ravenswood Ave. Chicago, IL 60647 (773) 340-2672